An new agreement has been signed between Whatsapp & Google, that is not updated whatsapp backup for more than a year will be removed from the Google drive storage from 12 November 2018 to avoid the loss of any backups, recommended you to update your Whatsapp backup manually before 12 November 2018.
Good News for Google users
Currently Whatsapp backups are stored in Google Drive hidden storage, you can access by,
- Use Desktop version, (If you are a Mobile user tap Desktop site from Menu in Google Chrome)
- Login to your Google Account ( Used for Whatsapp backup )
- Open Google Drive.
- Click the Gear icon and tap Settings.
- Now select Manage Apps.
- In last find Whatsapp Messager Backup.
Now the good news for Google users is Whatsapp backup will no longer count against Google Drive storage quota, this will be effect for all users from 12 November 2018, so update your whatsapp backup before 12th November otherwise your backups will be lost.
Creating a Google Drive backup
- Open Whatsapp
- Tap Menu > Settings > Chats > Chat backup.
- Choose the Google Account for Google Drive backup.
- Tap Backup.
Note : Your messages and media will backup to your local storage first with End-to-End encryption. After it uploaded to your Google Drive, and it is not protected by Whatsapp End-to-End encryption while in Google Drive.